Friday, October 31, 2014

EoE - Diagnosis

The procedure was painless. Totally.

I thought I might have a sore throat, or perhaps my voice might be affected.
Many of my friends were worried that I wouldn't be able to talk for some reason.
The sweetest was from a dear man from my church who emailed me this well-wish:

The fact is, I was yakking away just fine. I also wolfed down an entire naked burrito immediately afterward, as my friend and her kids watched in awe. Okay, only my friend was shocked. The kids were busy flinging their tortillas around.

My mom was so happy to hear my voice that day. I don't know what she thought might happen.
I didn't even look at images prior to the endoscopy, but it appears the larynx and vocal folds are completely separate from the esophagus
http://www.yoursurgery.com/ProcedureDetails.cfm?Proc=54


I was really tired when I woke up. I remember fluttering my eyes, seeing the recovery room, and going right back to sleep.
When they did discharge me, it was a little hard to walk, I think most of me was still knocked out.

My friend had been waiting for me during the procedure with her toddler and pre-schooler, and after an hour, they were tapped out on their goodwill in a waiting room with no toys! I think they let me go 20 minutes before my system was totally awake.

After the procedure, the doctor confirmed that the culprit for my pain is likely EoE. In fact, my esophagus was so inflamed that the doctor had to abandon plans to widen my esophagus for fear of perforating it.
To be honest, I didn't even know I was in that much pain. When I explained this to another friend with a medical background, she replied with astonishment, "You must have an incredible tolerance for pain!"
I guess I must. Funny thing about pain, when you live with it, it becomes your "normal". My "Hmm, that hurts." must be different from others.

Treatment plan.
I have a steroid inhaler, two doses a day to reduce inflammation. I've also started the Six Food Elimination Diet , starting by eliminating nuts and legumes.

Stay tuned!






No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think. Share questions. Be kind.